Click here to visit ...

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Note to Self: Do Not Do ...

Recently, i was playing with some new stuff - Artist's Concrete, and I wanted to put it into a mold I had. But the mold did not have a flat bottom, and I knew that it would be tippy, and that I needed to find a way to stabilize it.

Easy peasy - I'll make a snake of polymer clay, make a ring of it, and push the mold onto it and that will hold it flat and steady while the concrete sets. No problem.

And because I had another thing I was making with the concrete - a ring, which I stabilized in an upright and flat position by cutting a hole for the ring band in a styrofoam meat tray, I put the polymer clay (un-baked) onto the styrofoam tray as well.

So, a week or so later, when I go to clean up (because it is unheard of for me to clean up on the day of!), I discovered this.








The unbaked polymer clay has reacted over time with the styrofoam and make a gooey mess. It ate a channel into the foam, and stuck to the polymer clay, and just thoroughly went icky.

I had to throw both the clay and foam out. No biggie really, but lesson learned. Don't leave unbaked polymer clay sitting on styrofoam for any length of time.

Cheers!

No comments: