Click here to visit ...

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

All Mixed Up at BeadFX

I'm Anne Marie, and I'm here to share Mixed Media with you. I have a passion for beads, textiles, fibre art, bead and thread embroidery, paper, paints, collage, free-form peyote stitch, art dolls, printing, metal, wire, various types of clay, botanicals, found objects, recycling, repurposing, and oh, so much more!  Let's just say that I'm a mixed up media person, with a serious lust for techniques!

You're probably wondering what Mixed Media is all about?   Let's start with the definition (or should I say, one of the definitions out there):

"The term "mixed media art" is a broad definition that covers many arts and crafts, including collage, assemblage (both 2D and 3D), altered objects, including books and boxes, handmade greeting cards, artist trading cards (ATC's) and tags, art journalling and book making.

The "mixed media" used includes paints, papers and board of all descriptions, glues, buttons, fabrics, found objects, photos, metal bits, fibres, things from nature, inks, pencils, crayons, markers, pastels and polymer clays, to name a few." - Mixed Media Art

Why isn't jewellery mentioned in this definition, and where do the beads fit in?  Well, in my case, beads fit with just about everything!  I first used them in my early, fibre art days.   Copper Charlottes mixed in with the embroidery, and even more on the freeform edging.  Oh look, there's even a tree, made out of copper wire!

Now they can be found in some of my more intuitive work.   Beads, lots of lucious, sparkling beads!

I've stitched them onto paper, glued them to rocks, and embedded them into Apoxie Clay. You never know where they'll turn up next!

I admit that I don't work exclusively with beads.   How could I, when there's such a wealth of other materials out there, to tempt me?  I make and teach, how to make, unique jewellery, cabochons, beads and small art pieces, suitable for framing and gift giving.  In the coming weeks, I'll be introducing some of the products and techniques available.  I do teach a variety of workshops at BeadFX, and will be hosting a monthly, Mixed Media: Open Studio, on Thursday evenings, for those interested in exploring this facinating art form. First play date - September 17th.

My upcoming September 19th workshop - "Painted Fantasy: Pendants and Bezels"' explores the mysteries of the new Pebeo Fantasy paint line.   The effects are unique, amazing, and can be used on a wide variety of surfaces.  So far, my substrates of choice have been glass and metal bezels, but I do plan to start combining with other products, and surfaces in the future.   Keep tuned!

Mixed Media is a way to express your creativity in a non-traditional way.   It's a very forgiving art form, that gives you permission to relax, and actually start using some of your collections (also known as stash), while making unique, out of the box, jewellery, gifts and art.   I invite you to join me on this journey of discovery!

Anne Marie



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job!
Diane

Anonymous said...

Great post! I'm sure your groups will fill up quickly. wish I could be there.... sounds like great fun!!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks guys! Too bad you live so far away!!! But you can still shop here.....the dollar is in your favour, and there are great deals to be found.