Click here to visit ...

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Getting to know...Pamela Kearns

(Editor's confession -- Okay this is just weird! I (Pam) am writing about me (Pam) in the third person. I promise - my ego is not this big!)

Pamela Kearns wears a couple of hats at BeadFX. As the Class and Event Coordinator, she gets to meet all of the instructors, schedule classes and has the opportunity to see all of the projects before anyone else. Pam is also one of the teachers at BeadFX and teaches a range of techniques from beginner jewellery to seed beading.

"My background in making jewellery and doing all sorts of crafts comes naturally," says Pam. "My mom was a knitter and my sister does counted cross stitch. I started making things in Brownies and then Girl Guides and never really stopped."

"I started beading a little over 10 years ago. I honestly thought beading was nothing more than stringing one bead after another along a wire to make a necklace," she admits. "I went to the Creative Sewing and Needlework Festival (as it was then known) and saw tiny beads and how to put them together with a needle a thread. The love affair was born! The peyote stitch was the first stitch I learned and it remains my favourite."

"Teaching was a natural evolution for me. I like to problem-solve and teaching allows me to do that for and with others. "I also get to share my enthusiasm of the various techniques and how to assemble jewellery," she says. "One of my favourite classes is Jewellery Making 101. Students come in completely unsure of themselves but often have a vision of what they want to do. It is so rewarding to see the 'Ah ha moment' when a student realizes they can make a piece of jewellery themselves."

"These last couple of years have been high points for me," says Pam. "My Boho Bangle was published in June/July 2013 issue of Beadwork. This year, I attended and taught two classes at Bead and Button. Rochelle (Kilmer) and I were getting ready for the Meet the Teacher evening at Bead and Button and I kept saying that I couldn't believe I was there!"

Life hasn't always been so rosy for Pam. "Six years ago I underwent a gastric bypass and have since lost 165lbs. There were some complications but I got through them. I've also had lack of employment and, therefore, serious financial difficulties that included bankruptcy but I got past them too. The result of all of this was a pretty steely resolve - if I can survive the past, then I can survive the present and the future," admits Pam. "It strengthened my ability to believe in myself. Of course, I didn't do it all; I had lots of help from God and from friends."

Pam's advice to others? "Believe in yourself and your artistic vision," says Pam. "Observe what is around you and gather inspiration from all kinds of sources. Creativity comes when you try to get the vision from your mind through your hands to create a component or jewellery."

Upcoming classes with Pamela Kearns:

Thursday, August 7
Discovering Tubular Herringbone
6:00 - 9:00pm

Thursday, August 21
Spiral It Up Bracelet
6:00 - 9:00pm

Thursday, September 11
NEW Triangle Ridgeback Bracelet
6:00 - 9:00pm

Thursday, September 25
NEW Autumn Leaves Bracelet
6:00 - 9:00pm

Saturday, September 27
Jewellery Making 101
11:30am - 3:30pm

Complete information, including class and kit fees, are included on our website. Click on 'Classes' and follow the links to the monthly class calendars.

No comments: