Click here to visit ...

Sunday, March 04, 2012

The Joy of Metal Clay - Base Metal Clays

Unfortunately, I didn't get as much metal clay work done this weekend as I had hoped. I had to go over to my parents and help clear out their house as they have decided suddenly to move out of their house. On the bright side I have discovered many interesting craft supplies as I
sorted and packed boxes. Found some solid craft knifes, a burnisher and much more....


Anyway, I had hoped to have had more time to play with Hadar Jacobson's base metal clays and her new book, "Patterns of Color in Metal Clay" .




It is a great book with fabulous ideas. I can see so many fun things to do. I started a project she has in the book titled White Bronze Overlay Link Necklace (page 118), I haven't gotten far but it is three layers: bronze (gold coloured); copper and white bronze on top. I have only gotten the shapes started and one piece layered with copper.


Container Idea:

Other thoughts, I realized now I have steel, copper, bronze, and white bronze clay I need additional containers to store this clay. I didn't have any extra buddy cups hanging around. So I decided to try contact lens cases. I bought I set of two from Shoppers Drug Mart the other day, they have a snap top and should seal well (one would think). I will let you know how the clay stores in them...one things is they are tiny so you can't get more than (I guess) 15 grams in them.


Kids and Metal Clay

A final note. Last weekend, as a gift for one of my son's friends, I did a brief metal clay playtime. a a birthday party. Look at the results below. All the pieces were made by a group of 8-12 year-olds. (Actually, one piece {the piece with a snake stamped on it] was done by a 6 year old who came in late and other kids taught him how to make his own piece while I was helping another child. The pieces are Fast Fire BronzeClay.


Next week, I hope to have some finished pictures. Have a great week!



No comments: