Click here to visit ...

Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Joy of Metal Clay: More about textures...

Last week I talked about the abundance of textures you can find in life. This week, I realized there was more to say about textures.


I had a conversation with an individual new to metal clay who was astounded that simple rubber stamps such as those used for scrapbooking and other stamping tasks would work on metal clay. Yes it is true.

People use rubber stamps found in craft stores and there are even great little stamps often found in dollar stores too.

Many people who have discovered metal clay have fallen in love with the abundance of rubber texturing stamps on the market today. Over the past few years there has been an increase in stamps marketed to the metal clay community, and we are seeing many artists designing and selling stamp specifically for metal and polymer clay.


There are many places where you can buy texturing stamps. Here some places that have been around for a while. They are actually the companies that I bought my first collection of stamp from:

I know there are many more places now...so feel free to add your favorites.


Since my first foray into purchasing texturing stamps, several Canadian resources have become available. Here are two:
  • Shades of Clay - a Mississauga based company catering to the polymer clay (and metal clay) enthusiast!!!! They have a great selection of tools and of course textures. Be sure to check out one of my favorite series of textures by Helen Breil.
  • Another source of metal clay texture sheets comes from one of my former students and fellow artist Liz Stenson, she has a series of textures sheets you can check them out at Lady Muck Designs. Check out her watch parts texture sheet...I have one that I hope to play with this week.



Now buying textures is a quick and easy; but many artists want to make their own textures to create that truly unique piece that is all theirs. There are many ways of doing this (photopolymer sheets, linoleum,....) . One relatively quick and easy way is to send a black and white graphic image to a stamping company to have your own custom stamp made. Over a year ago I searched and search for a company to do this for me. (It was actually hard for me to find a company that would sell unmounted rubber stamp.) I finally found a company called RubberStamp.net


I was very happy. I made a name stamp to mark my pieces and several custom stamps.



Feel free to share your resources.
Enjoy!

Heather

No comments: